Saturday 1 March 2014

Record Collection by Country?!?!

Well, I've threatened it a few times but now I've only gone and done it.  Going through my albums and making a tally of how many came from each country makes for quite interesting reading.  Certain bands from smaller (or less musically renowned) countries that have had a lot of albums out may skew the numbers slightly, as will countries synonymous with certain movements and genres, but it's my list so that's fine.  Without further ado, here we go:

1. USA 292
2. England 231
3. Wales 50
4. Sweden 43
5. Norway 29
6. Finland 28
7. Brazil 24
8. Holland 17
9. Germany 11
10. Italy 10
11. Canada 6
12. Australia 3
= Ireland 3
= Scotland 3
= Switzerland 3
16. Northern Ireland 2
= Portugal 2

Numbers correct as at 1st March 2014

Just for the record, different versions counted more than once, probably why Wales did so well with my various Manics album formats!  Scandinavia did pretty well for itself with its varied metal bands, while Sepultura, Soulfly, The Gathering and Lacuna Coil all bumped their countries up the list.  Not a great showing from Scotland, Northern Ireland and Ireland though.

Europe and North America unsurprisingly dominated, with South America charting in the shape of Brazil and Australia also sneaking in there.  Now if I can only buy some albums by African and Asian bands I could make it truly global!!  Maybe Dragonforce could count on that score?  Members and ex-members from Hong Kong, South Africa, New Zealand, Ukraine, France....and they were counted as English!

Top marks to anyone who can get Antarctica in there too....Sonata Antarctica?  Emperor (Penguins)?  I'll get me coat....


No comments:

Post a Comment